Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Boquete Breakfast Smoothie

My new writer's retreat above Boquete, Panama
 About six weeks ago, I moved to Panama. I am here writing a book, and I chose Panama because I was looking for a cheap, quiet and inspirational place to do it that I had never been to before.
After moving for the third time, I settled into a small casita above the mountain town of Boquete, near Panama's only volcano. It's beautiful here: I have access to tropical fruit from the coast, plus organic local produce. There are tangerine, lemon and orange trees outside the door, and every morning so far I've been able to sit in the grass in the yard and watch the sun come up over the mountain as I drink locally grown coffee and write in my journal.
This morning, I made myself a smoothie for breakfast. I think it may quickly become my new favorite meal:

Boquete Breakfast Smoothie

1 mango from the Panamanian coast (to learn how to cut a mango, click here)
1 orange from the tree outside
1 handful locally grown organic basil
1/4 cup organic pineapple goat yogurt (just because it's expensive, and only comes in tiny containers)
1/4 cup water
ice

Blend ingredients until you have made a smoothie, or until the blender starts to smell like the motor might burn up. Enjoy in the sunshine on the porch.

Buen provecho!

1 comment: